High School Basketball Coach
Unity Preparatory Charter School of Brooklyn (Unity) is an independent charter school that proudly serves the community of central Brooklyn in New York City. We are currently in our 4th year and serve 420 sixth, seventh eighth graders, and ninth graders and their families. Over the next three years, we will continue to grow one grade level per year until we reach full size in 2019 with approximately 700 students in grades 6-12. We look forward to the graduation of our founding class in the spring of 2020.
In the 2016-17 school year, we will open our doors to our first cohort of ninth grade students. We are now seeking to bring together a strong team of gifted educators to lead in building a high school of distinction that truly equips our students with the skills, knowledge, mindset and experiences to realize their postsecondary aspirations and positively contribute to the well being of their communities.
- Supervise student athletes to promote effective student learning through participation in athletic activities.
- Plan, develop and implement an effective program for the particular sport to prepare athletes both physically and mentally to participate in athletic contests; formulate behavioral objectives for the coming sports season; administer discipline when necessary in a fair and consistent manner; emphasize safety precautions; inform participants prior to season about the district’s policies and regulations and extracurricular activity contract.
- Organize after school practice sessions that are both stimulating and instructive; teach basic fundamental skills of the sport; prepare daily practice activities and keep records on file; emphasize and promote good sportsmanship in the conduct of team members and coaches.
- Assume responsibility for all phases of the program involving coordination of facility use in conjunction with building athletic director; follow school procedures for handling injuries; submit to the building athletic director a list of names of students who sustain incapacitating injuries during the season; maintain injury records in conjunction with the building athletic director.
- Inform students and parents of the proper procedures of eligibility and special rules for the particular sport; schedule practice days and times; work with parents to arrange transportation to and from games.
- Establish an effective system for issuing equipment and maintaining records including dates and times of issuance; assure the systematic return of all equipment, the cleaning and storing of equipment; perform weekly safety check for all equipment; hold students responsible for lost equipment; complete inventory lists and provide copies to the building athletic coordinator.
- Make written recommendations to athletic director regarding program, facilities, and transportation problems; assist the athletic coordinator in achieving the objectives of the school’s athletic program.
- Attend athletic meetings as called by athletic director.
- Update knowledge by attending clinics, workshops, and maintaining familiarity with current athletic programs; keep current with regard to rule changes.
- A proven track record of promoting student learning on and off the field; at least two years of experience in coaching.
- Expertise in working with diverse populations of students and families, and in differentiating instruction to fully support the needs of diverse learners.
- An acumen for actively engaging students in her/his own learning.
- A demonstrated openness and responsiveness to constructive feedback and a strong commitment to continuous improvement and professional growth.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and experience working collaboratively in team settings.
- Approaches the profession with maturity, humility, versatility (i.e., embraces the ambiguity and excitement associated with start-ups), a solutions-mindedness with a strong work ethic, and, of course, a sense of humor.
- First Aid and CPR/AED certified.
As an equal opportunity employer, Unity Preparatory Charter School of Brooklyn hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability.