Middle School Science Teacher
FOUNDING MIDDLE SCHOOL FACULTY: 8th Grade Science Teacher for the 2015-2016 School Year
Unity Preparatory Charter School of Brooklyn (Unity) is a grade six through twelve, tuition-free, public charter school in Brooklyn, New York. In the fall of 2015, Unity will serve 300 students in grades 6-8. Our mission is to empower students as scholars and citizens so they may lead fulfilling academic, personal, and professional lives. We accomplish this mission through a rigorous academic program, including a college preparatory curriculum in the liberal arts and sciences, exceptional teaching promoted through systems that develop and recognize expert teachers, extended learning time, and differentiated academic support. In addition, we offer to students an engaging co-curricular program that encompasses enrichment courses and elective clubs and athletics, a supportive school culture that fosters students’ socio-emotional development and cultivates character, and ample opportunities for active community involvement.
The faculty plays an essential role in establishing Unity as a model educational institution. Most critically, faculty members equip students with the knowledge and skills needed – including the desire and capacity to learn independently, think critically, and communicate proficiently – in order to experience secondary and postsecondary success. Unity’s science teachers are charged with developing in students sound, foundational skills in scientific inquiry, including making conjectures, following procedures, collecting data, making precise observations and calculations, refining and clarifying their thinking, and communicating their findings, both independently and in collaboration with peers. They also foster in students a confidence in and appreciation for their abilities to engage in the study of science and provide opportunities for students to act as young scientists in applying the skills and knowledge they develop to real-world applications. In addition to core classroom responsibilities, Unity teachers may also work to develop students’ non-academic skills and interests as both a co-advisor of 18-25 students and as “Captain” of one of the school’s after-school elective clubs.
As professionals, Unity teachers participate in the school’s innovative teacher career ladder, which provides a formal and transparent pathway for teachers to: 1. develop their craft and improve as educators through multiple forms of support and training; 2. assume titles with commensurate responsibilities while remaining classroom practitioners; and 3. be generously compensated and formally recognized for their positive contributions to the school. For more information on our unique professional ladder and a teaching career at Unity, visit http://www.unityprep.org/careers/why-teach-at-unity/
- A proven track record of promoting student learning in the science classroom; at least two years of formal teaching experience in 8th grade science in New York preferred
- A collaborative spirit and zeal in developing horizontally and vertically aligned secondary-level science curricula that reflect the Understanding by Design framework
- Demonstrably strong organizational and classroom/course management skills
- Expertise in working with diverse populations of students and families, and in differentiating instruction to fully support the needs of diverse learners
- An acumen for actively engaging students in her/his own learning, academically and non-academically
- A demonstrated openness and responsiveness to constructive feedback and a strong commitment to continuous improvement and professional growth
- Strong written and oral communication skills and experience working collaboratively in team settings
- Approaches the profession with maturity, humility, versatility (i.e., embraces the ambiguity and excitement associated with start-ups), a solutions-mindedness with a strong work ethic, and, of course, a sense of humor
If you seek to contribute meaningfully to the development and successful operation of an innovative public school with a strong team of talented educators, please visit http://www.unityprep.org/careers/ to submit a cover letter and resume and begin the application process.
As an equal opportunity employer, Unity Preparatory Charter School of Brooklyn hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability.