Middle School Teaching Assistants in Literacy Development
MIDDLE SCHOOL STAFF: Teaching Assistants in Literacy Development
Unity Preparatory Charter School of Brooklyn (Unity) is a grade six through twelve, tuition-free, public charter school in Brooklyn, New York. In the fall of 2015, Unity will serve 320 students in grades 6-8. Our mission is to empower students as scholars and citizens so they may lead fulfilling academic, personal, and professional lives. We accomplish this mission through a rigorous academic program, including a college preparatory curriculum in the liberal arts and sciences, exceptional teaching promoted through systems that develop and recognize expert teachers, extended learning time, and differentiated academic support. In addition, we offer students an engaging co-curricular program that encompasses enrichment courses and elective clubs and athletics, a supportive school culture that fosters students’ socio-emotional development and cultivates character, and ample opportunities for active community involvement.
Unity’s faculty play an essential role in establishing Unity as a model educational institution. Most critically, faculty members equip students with the knowledge and skills needed – including the desire and capacity to learn independently, think critically, and communicate proficiently – in order to experience secondary and postsecondary success. Unity’s Teaching Assistants (TAs) are charged with developing in students sound reading, writing, and communication skills in our Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI) courses. Working under the direct support of Unity’s administrators and seasoned educators, TAs work within teams of four in which they facilitate small reading groups and provide customized support to students based on their respective reading levels and the growth students demonstrate over the course of the school year. In addition to their core responsibilities in LLI, Unity TAs may also support students’ academic and non-academic growth by contributing to Unity’s enrichment and extra-curricular programs.
- Experience in promoting student learning academically or non-academically; at least a summer or year of experience in working with middle school children is strongly preferred
- A collaborative spirit and zeal in developing strong literacy skills among students of all levels
- Demonstrably strong organizational skills and detail-oriented regarding punctuality and executing lesson plans
- Expertise in working with diverse populations of students and families, and in supporting instruction to fully support the needs of diverse learners
- An acumen for actively engaging students in her/his own learning, academically and non-academically
- A demonstrated openness and responsiveness to constructive feedback and a strong commitment to continuous improvement and professional growth
- Strong written and oral communication skills and experience working collaboratively in team settings
- Approaches the profession with maturity, humility, versatility (i.e., embraces the ambiguity and excitement associated with start-ups), a solutions-mindedness with a strong work ethic, and, of course, a sense of humor
If you seek to contribute meaningfully to the development and successful operation of an innovative public school with a strong team of talented educators, please visit http://www.unityprep.org/careers/ to submit a cover letter and resume and begin the application process.
As an equal opportunity employer, Unity Preparatory Charter School of Brooklyn hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability.