Middle School Summer Academy Teaching Assistant
MIDDLE SCHOOL STAFF: Summer Academy Teaching Assistants
Unity Preparatory Charter School of Brooklyn (Unity), a grade six through twelve, tuition-free, public charter school in Brooklyn, New York, is now in its second year and serves 230 sixth and seventh graders and their families. Our mission is to empower students as scholars and citizens so they may lead fulfilling academic, personal, and professional lives. We accomplish this through a rigorous academic program, including a college preparatory curriculum in the liberal arts and sciences, exceptional teaching promoted through systems that develop and recognize expert teachers, extended learning time, and differentiated academic support. In addition, we offer to students an engaging co-curricular program that encompasses enrichment courses and elective clubs, a supportive school culture that fosters students’ socio-emotional development, and ample opportunities for active community involvement.
A central aspect of Unity’s Summer Academy is the individualized instruction and tutelage students receive as they master key concepts and skills introduced to them in 6th grade. Our Teaching Assistants (TAs) work under our lead teachers in providing such services. Over the course of the 16 mornings that select students participate in Summer Academy, TA’s will work closely with 2-3 students over the duration of the 16 days so that students develop the necessary skills and knowledge to advance to 7th grade fully prepared to succeed in their studies.
As TAs support our students, they will gain first-hand experience in working within an innovative summer program of new public school in Brooklyn, New York. They will work under talented, seasoned educators and have the opportunity to observe and learn from these educators daily. Finally, TAs will develop strong and positive relationships with the students they support and play a key role in addressing any shortfalls in students’ understanding of key concepts and skills so that students may confidently proceed to 7th grade. In playing this role, TAs will take pride in knowing that they have contributed meaningfully to the education of their students.
- Experience in promoting student learning academically or non-academically; at least a summer or year of experience in working with middle school children is strongly preferred
- Demonstrably strong organizational skills and detail-oriented regarding punctuality and executing lesson plans
- Expertise in working with diverse populations of students and families, and in supporting instruction to fully support the needs of diverse learners
- An acumen for actively engaging students in her/his own learning, academically and non-academically
- A demonstrated openness and responsiveness to constructive feedback and a strong commitment to continuous improvement and professional growth
- Strong written and oral communication skills and experience working collaboratively in team settings
- Approaches the profession with maturity, humility, versatility (i.e., embraces the ambiguity and excitement associated with start-ups), a solutions-mindedness with a strong work ethic, and, of course, a sense of humor
Hours and Stipend: Monday through Thursday, 8am-1pm, from July 6th to July 30th. Teaching Assistants receive a stipend of $700 for their services.
If you seek to contribute meaningfully to the development and successful operation of an innovative public school with a strong team of talented educators, please visit http://www.unityprep.org/careers/ to submit a cover letter and resume and begin the application process.
As an equal opportunity employer, Unity Preparatory Charter School of Brooklyn hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability.