The Unity Scoop at 584! Week of February 4th
Good day, families of Unity High!
It feels great to be living in a slightly warmer New York City this week. As I have said before, we are in this together and I want to thank all of our families for ensuring that your children were bundled up appropriately to make their way to school without a hitch. It was business as usual at Unity. If your child did happen to miss school last week due to the frigid temperatures, please connect with your child’s advisors and/or teachers to collect and complete any outstanding assignments.
We officially kicked off the second semester last week. This week is about continuing to get off to a strong start!
In this week’s edition of the 584 Scoop, I bring to you 10 important announcements.
This Week’s Top 10:
- We do have school tomorrow, Tuesday, February 5th! While the DOE schools are off tomorrow, we do have a regular school day tomorrow as indicated in our calendar.
- Semester 1 Final Grades are Now Live on Jupiter – Please log in and check your child’s final grades at this time. Note that yearlong course credit will be determined by the average of Semester 1 and Semester 2 grades. Students with a 70% or higher average will earn credit towards graduation requirements.
- Black History Month Film Day: Wednesday, February 6th, 4:40pm! We are kicking off our Black History Month celebration with a field trip to see If Beale Street Could Talk at Williamsburg Cinemas this Wednesday at 4:40pm. Students who are interested in attending should pick up and return permission slips to Ms. Alteon (9th Grade), Ms. Cirelli (10th Grade) or Mr. Lazar (11th Grade).
Permission slips and $8.50 will be due on Wednesday 2/6 no later than 8am.
- Our Next Open House for New Middle School Students is Tomorrow: Tuesday, February 5th at 10am – We are holding open houses for prospective families who are interested in learning more about about our middle school on the morning of February 5th and evening of March 20th (see exact times below). We encourage our current families to invite other families whose child is entering middle school next year. Contact Ms. Hefney with questions at email@example.com or (347) 460-7173.
- Tuesday, February 5th at 10:00am
- Wednesday, March 20th at 6:00pm
- Hoops Double-header at the Stuy Dome on Wednesday, February 13th! – Show your Panther spirit by taking in two basketball games as well as performances by our step and cheering teams! The address of our home away from home – the Stuy Dome – as well as the tip-off times of both games are listed below:
Brooklyn Stuy Dome
312 Kosciuszko St, Brooklyn, NY 11221
JV – 4:00pm
Varsity – 5:00pm
- Tea on Valentine’s Day with Our Principals: Thursday, February 14th, 6pm – Ms. Fuller and Ms. Yun look forward to continuing their collaboration with you next Thursday. For those who have yet to attend a session, we welcome your participation and engagement as we prepare for a very busy spring season!
- Round 2 of our February College Tours, Friday, February 15th! – Unity High students will visit 12 colleges in February as a part of our College and Career Readiness program! During the visits, students will have an opportunity to experience a bit of the college life, meet college students and professors, learn about specific college programs and courses of study, and evaluate whether the colleges offer a promising fit. Students will visit the following colleges and universities: Villanova University, St. Thomas Aquinas College, Manhattanville College, Trinity College, Lincoln University, Barnard College, Columbia University, Quinnipiac University, Kingsborough College, Lehman College, Brooklyn College, and St. Francis College. Signed permission forms are due by Monday, February 11th – students should see their CCR counselor if they need a permission form.
On a related note, Unity High’s National Honor Society is currently raising funds for additional college tours this coming spring and summer. Visit their Gofundme page here!
- Reminder! Career Day at Unity High on April 12th – We’d be Honored to Have you in Attendance! – Unity High will host its Third Annual Career Fair on Friday, April 12th. During this networking event, students will visit several different adults and inquire about the adults’ work, their professional backgrounds, and ask for tips/advice regarding entering the adults’ career field. We are now actively recruiting adults from the range of career fields. We hope to have at least fifty adults from a range of career fields including, but not limited to: design (graphic design, animation, architecture), science (biology/marine biology, chemists), visual arts, self-employed entrepreneurs, law enforcement, medicine/healthcare, law, private business, performing arts, and humanities-related careers. Should you or anyone in your network be interested in participating in the Career Fair, please complete the Unity Prep Career Fair Interest Survey. Contact Mr. Gonzalez, Unity High’s Director of College & Career Readiness at firstname.lastname@example.org or (347) 439-2634 with questions.
- Reminder! Immediate Change in our Cell Phone Policy – Students have been assigned a Yondr case that they take home every day. Students are responsible for bringing the case to school each day. If they do not have their Yondr case, their cell phone will be turned in for the day and be returned during dismissal. Students are personally responsible for keeping their assigned case in good working condition. If it is discovered that a case is broken, a replacement fee of $25 will be issued to the student’s account. Contact Ms. Yun, Co-Principal, (email@example.com) if you have any questions.
- Reminder! Free Study Sessions for AP Students through AP for All – Families of students enrolled in AP courses, please see this list below of available study sessions that your student may attend through our partnership with AP for All. Students have the opportunity to work with skilled AP teachers and college professors and meet other AP students from throughout the city. These workshops are a great way to give your scholar a leg up on AP exams. Unity students who attended a recent study session for AP Environmental Science had a blast. Please encourage your child to sign up, and reach out to Ms. Duphiney (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any further questions!
|Course||Location||Number of seats||Registration link|
|AP Environmental Science||Bronx – Mott Haven Educational Campus
730 Concourse Village West, Bronx, NY
|AP U.S. History||Bronx – Mott Haven Educational Campus
730 Concourse Village West, Bronx, NY
|AP English Literature||Brooklyn – Prospect Educational Campus
883 Classon Ave, Brooklyn, NY
Resources for Families:
- HS Activities Calendar (updated weekly)
- 2018-19 HS Academic Calendar (official calendar as established at the beginning of the year)
- Student PRIDE Pledge
- Family PRIDE Pledge
- Jupiter (for your child’s grades) – you can also log in by visiting our website and clicking on the Jupiter Ed icon on the top right corner of our homepage.
Have a terrific week, Unity!