The Unity Scoop at 432! Week of February 26th
Good morning, families of Unity Junior High!
I hope that you and your family enjoyed the wonderful break. I want to begin today’s note by thanking our families that supported their children in keeping their academic skills strong by helping them complete their mid-winter break homework assignments. Such practice goes a long way in helping students retain and strengthen important skills from which to continue building.
It feels great to be back in school this week to reunite with everyone to resume in our all important work. With the month of March almost upon us, we are moving into the spring season, which is a busy and exciting time of year. We look forward to continuing to partner with you to create the best educational experience possible for your child.
In this week’s edition of The 432 Scoop, I bring to you 8 important announcements plus a bonus coming from our faculty and high-school scholar athletes.
This Week’s Top 8:
- Students Workshops in Honor of Black History – All of our students took part in workshops of their choice on the Wednesday morning before the break. Workshops centered on honoring black history – workshop titles included Strength is Not Always Seen, I am Beautiful and I am Strong, Coloring Colorism – Speak Your Truth, and more. Thank you to Mr. Guerrero, Ms. McRae, and others for organizing. Enjoy the photos below!
- Support our Student Recruitment Efforts! – We kindly ask that all of our families take no more than five minutes to visit GreatSchools.org or our Google page to share with others what you appreciate about Unity and why you are proud to send your child to Unity. Simply click HERE to access our Google page or HERE to go directly to the site to provide a review. Thanks in advance – it means a lot to us and goes a long way in ensuring our long-term success in connecting with amazing families like you!
- Black History Month Living Wax Museum Tomorrow, February 27th, from 8:30am-12:30pm! – We welcome families to visit this year’s Living Wax Museum, where costumed students will be acting as famous historical figures. The festivity will take place in our auditorium. Contact Ms. Hefney with questions at email@example.com or (347) 460-7173. Hope to see you there!
- Family Movie Night at Unity this Thursday, February 28th at 5pm! – Come out with the family to enjoy the brilliant and inspiring film, Hidden Figures, in our auditorium. Contact Ms. Hefney with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or (347) 460-7173.
- Reminder! Our Next Open Houses for Prospective New Middle School Students are on Wednesday, March 20th at 6pm and on Saturday, March 23rd at 10am – We encourage our current families to invite other families whose child is entering middle school next year. Contact Ms. Hefney with questions at email@example.com or (347) 460-7173.
- A Shout-out to Families who Attended Last Week’s Coffee with our Co-Principals – Mr. Burns and Ms. Roy Gaines thank all families who participated in last week’s coffee talk. We look forward to continuing in our good work during next month’s coffee talk. For those who have yet to attend a session, we encourage your participation and engagement!
- Reminder! Career Day at Unity High on April 12th – We’d be Honored to Have you in Attendance! – Unity High will host its Third Annual Career Fair on Friday, April 12th. During this networking event, students will meet with a number of adults and inquire about their work, professional background, and ask for tips/advice regarding entering their specific career field. We are now actively recruiting adults from a range of career fields. We hope to have at least fifty adults from a variety of career fields including, but not limited to: design (graphic design, animation, architecture), science (biology/marine biology, chemists), visual arts, self-employed entrepreneurs, law enforcement, medicine/healthcare, law, private business, performing arts, and humanities-related careers. Should you or anyone in your network be interested in participating in the Career Fair, please complete the Unity Prep Career Fair Interest Survey. Contact Mr. Gonzalez, Unity High’s Director of College & Career Readiness at firstname.lastname@example.org or (347) 439-2634 with questions.
- Reminder! Support Your Child’s Study Skills at Home – It is never too late to help your child in developing their study skills! Here is a helpful article that details how you can support your child in studying at home. Simply browse over the article and take part in those recommendations that you feel are most important to you and your child. Please do not hesitate to contact your child’s co-advisors and/or teachers directly for course-specific study tips.
Bonus: Students vs. Faculty Hoops Game at the Barclays Center! – Thank you to everyone who came out to cheer on both teams during Sunday’s game. Congrats to the students for their come-from-behind victory. And thank you Mr. Coleman and Mr. Martinez for organizing the event. Enjoy the photo!
Resources for Families:
- MS February calendar, including our athletics schedule
- 2018-19 MS Academic Calendar (official calendar as established at the beginning of the year)
- 2018-19 MS Student & Family Handbook
- Unity Pledge
- Jupiter (for your child’s grades) – you can also log in by visiting our website and clicking on the Jupiter Ed icon on the top right corner of our homepage.